The Week in GeekMay 21, 2013
This Week in Geek we are taking a look at the large hadron collider, solar storms and Star Wars: Episode VII rumors!
- Dolphins, trained to detect mines by the Navy, persuaded their trainers to dredge up a 130 year old torpedo.
- Although it is not yet official, it has been reported that Jonathan Rhys-Meyers (of The Tudors fame) may be the first actor not associated with previous films to be signed on to Star Wars: Episode VII. If confirmed, this will mark the second time Rhys-Meyers and J.J. Abrams will work together, the first being Mission Impossible: III, Abrams feature film debut.
- On Friday, a small solar storm ejected from a powerful sunspot projected the northern lights as far south as Colorado. But, there are allegedly more on the way and some are worried about the risk it means for the interconnected electrical grid around the world.
- Scientists think they’ve created the smallest drops of liquid ever — the size of only three to five protons. Check out the full story here.
- The warp drive shown in Star Trek Into Darkness is actually a laboratory for nuclear fusion research. The sequence was filmed at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, California.
MOVIE OF THE WEEK
EPIC (May 24) – A teenager finds herself transported to a deep forest setting where a battle between the forces of good and the forces of evil is taking place. She bands together with a rag-tag group characters in order to save their world — and ours.
NEW ON DVD
SIDE EFFECTS (May 21) – Emily Taylor, despite being reunited with her husband from prison, becomes severely depressed with emotional episodes and suicide attempts. Her psychiatrist, Jonathan Banks, after conferring with her previous doctor, eventually prescribes an experimental new medication called Ablixa. The plot thickens when the side effects of the drug lead to Emily killing her husband in a “sleepwalking” state. With Emily plea-bargained into mental hospital confinement and Dr. Banks’ practice crumbling around him, the case seems closed. However, Dr. Banks cannot accept full responsibility and investigates to clear his name. What follows is a dark quest that threatens to tear what’s left of his life apart even as he discovers the diabolical truth of this tragedy.
GAME OF THE WEEK
CALL OF JUAREZ: GUNSLINGER – a real homage to the Wild West tales and era. Players will live the epic journey of Silas Greaves, a ruthless bounty hunter who spent his life on the trail of the West’s most notorious outlaws. Now it is Silas’ time to tell his story, which is linked to the history of the Wild West era: a mix of myths and historical facts.
Made of memorable encounters with some of the West’s most notorious names such as Billy the Kid, Pat Garret, Jesse James and Butch Cassidy, the game blurs the lines between man and myth. Call of Juarez® Gunslinger lets players live the greatest legends of the Old West.