Legion, a joint-venture by Fox and Marvel, premieres tonight, February 8 on FX. Eponymously named, the TV show has stirred up interest over the past few months. The series is manned by Noah Hawley (Fargo), and is said to be connected to the X-Men film series through a parallel universe.
So who is Legion, or rather David Haller? One thing, he is played by Dan Stevens (Downton Abbey, Beauty and the Beast), and is joined by Aubrey Plaza (Lenny Busker), Jean Smart (Melanie Bird), Mackenzie Grey (The Eye), Rachel Kelly and Scott Lawrence (Dr. Poole).
Here are some more quick facts about Legion from the comics:
- Legion was conceived after Professor Xaiver had an affair with Gabrielle Haller, David’s mother.
- One of his key characteristics is his schizophrenia, which developed after surviving a terrorist attack.
- Legion first appeared in New Mutants #25 (March 1985) and was created by Chris Claremont and Bill Sienkiewicz.
- When David’s powers first appeared during the terrorist attack, he incinerated the brains of his would-be assassins, who had just killed his step-father. David was then forced into a catatonic state.
- When Professor X learned he had a son, he was able to help him reassert his primary personality.
- On occasion, his multiple personalities have materialized into bodies of their own. They also happen to run amok, and Haller has to track them down.
- In his teens, David’s mother placed him in the care of mutant scientist Dr. Moira MacTaggert, his psionic powers ended up absorbing MacTaggert’s colleagues Tom Corsi and Sharon Friedlander. He later absorbed MacTaggert and Wolfsbane as well.
- Haller’s powers are best-described as the ability to absorb others psyche and manifest other powers when those personalities are dominant. He has shown powers in telepathy, telekinesis, pyrokinesis, time travel and warping reality. He has also turned into a lycanthrope, developed super speed, sonic speed and super strength throughout his years.
- Legion is considered an Omega-level mutant, which also includes the likes of Phoenix, Psylocke, Rachel Summers and Iceman.
- Legion has technically more than 1,000 personalities, his secondary personality is terrorist Jemail Karami, which allows his telepathy.
- Haller received the name Legion from the Biblical demon of the same name. Biblical demon is a man possessed by many spirits, to which Jesus asks his name, he replies, ‘I am Legion, for we are many.’
- He has dated Blindfold, a mutant named Ruth Adilene who has no eyes.
- For the most part, Haller has pretty good control of his personalities, that is until Cyclops turned into the Dark
Phoenix and killed Professor X, allowing his evil personalities to flourish in his anguish.
Legion premieres 10pm EST on FX on February 8.